This broccoli salad is probably my favorite side dish of all time. My mother-in-law gave me the recipe years ago, and it has been a huge hit in our house ever since. In fact, my mother-in-law came to visit just last week and we talked about how much we both love this recipe.
I love that this recipe is so colorful and healthy. But even better, it’s delicious. Even my kids who are not huge broccoli fans gobble this up. It has so many great ingredients, like bacon, grapes, bacon, sunflower seeds, and bacon. We love the bacon around here.
This recipe is very flexible. If you don’t have bacon but have some leftover ham or rotisserie chicken, you can certainly use that instead. Or you can go vegetarian and leave the meat out altogether. If you don’t love sunflower seeds, using chopped pecans or sliced almonds is a great variation. You can easily modify this recipe for whatever you prefer or have on hand.
If you are looking for a stand up side dish for your Easter dinner this weekend, I highly recommend this dish! I don’t think you will be disappointed. ♥
- ½ c. mayonnaise
- ¼ c. sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (I prefer apple cider and red wine vinegar)
- 2 large stalks broccoli, chopped
- ¼ c. red onion (or shallot), diced
- 1 c. red grapes (whole or cut in half)
- ⅔ c. sunflower seeds
- 1 c. crisp bacon, chopped
- Combine the mayonnaise, sugar, and vinegar in a medium size bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, red onion, red grapes, sunflower seeds, and bacon. Add the dressing and combine. (You can eat this right away but I like to make this salad a couple hours in advance and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving. It's lets the flavors get to know each other for a bit and makes it extra delish!)
Recipe Source: My mother-in-law, Trish.