I went to Zupas restaurant for the first time last year for my birthday. My friend, Whitney, took me there for lunch, and to say I loved it is an understatement. When I realized that I had a Zupas close to my house, it was game-over. When my husband asks me where I want to go for dinner, I say Zuppas most of the time.
The first time I went, the cute teenager at the other side of the counter recommended their Wisconsin Cauliflower Soup and my friend confirmed that it was delicious. I ordered it and was instantly hooked. I have never ordered any other soup since then.
After about the third time ordering this soup, I realized that for the sake of my budget I needed to learn how to make this soup at home. I turned to the internet and there are a LOT of copy-cat Zuppas cauliflower soup recipes out there, and that’s not a bad thing. I started trying out different versions, and since my house if full of people who are always willing to try my culinary adventures, none of my experiments resulted in wasted food. So while this recipe isn’t original to me, I have tweaked and tried new variations until I was thrilled with the results and got a thumbs up from everyone in my house. I am so excited to share this recipe with you!
This soup is still one of my all-time favorites. It’s creamy, rich, and hearty. It’s the perfect comfort food on a chilly day. Who knew cauliflower could be so delicious?!
While you don’t have to garnish it with bacon and cheese, I highly recommend it. It adds some nice texture and takes it over the top. I think croutons would be an amazing garnish as well.
I hope you try this recipe. In my experience, it will make you a superstar where ever you serve it!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 (14.5 oz. cans) chicken broth
- 2.5 pounds cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Optional Garnish: chopped bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, croutons
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions and stir. Allow the onions to cook in the butter until the onion are transparent, about 7 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and stir.
- Add the flour and salt, and whisk continually for about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the half and half, milk, water, and chick broth.
- Put all the chopped cauliflower into the saucepan and bring everything to a boil. All the mixture to boil for about 7-10 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender.
- Turn off the heat. In batches, carefully put the soup mixture into a blender and blend until everything is smooth.
- Put soup back into the saucepan and add the shredded cheddar, pepper jack, and Parmesan cheeses, stirring until everything is well-combined and the cheeses are melted.
- Serve into bowls and garnish with shredded cheese, bacon, and croutons. ENJOY!
Check out these other delicious recipes:
And don’t forget to pin the image below to save for later. Thanks! ♥